I have been paying child support as directed in my Georgia divorce decree and just lost my job. My ex-spouse told me that I did not have to pay child support until I found another job. Can I accept my ex-spouse’s word for this or do I need to do something legally to protect myself?

You should file a petition for modification of child support requesting that the court lower your child support payments. If you do not get a court order lowering your support obligation, you will still owe all the child support awarded in the Georgia divorce decree. Your ex-spouse can still attempt to collect the child support ordered in the divorce decree, if he/she changes their mind. Please contact Rumsey & Ramsey at (770) 394-9400 to discuss the facts of your case with a lawyer.